From friends who stay in bed and refuse to go to work when it is Friday the 13th to movies being made about this day, people’s opinions differ when it comes to that much dreaded Friday the 13th.
I have done some research and came across a few interesting facts regarding Friday the 13th. I never realized how superstitious some people are. (I only lift my feet off the ground when a South African batsman is on 111. But that’s not superstition, Double Nelson is a fact!)
Some Facts About Friday the 13th and the number 13
- The fear of Friday the 13th is an actual condition, called Paraskevidekatriaphobia. A fear of the nr 13 is called Triskaidekaphobia.
- Because of so many superstitions and some people’s phobia to anything that has to do with 13, many hotels and tall buildings don’t have a nr 13 in the elevator. It either just goes straight to nr 14 or is sometimes marked as 12A.
- Franklin Roosevelt never travelled on the 13th and he refused to sit at a table where there were thirteen people.
- For insurance companies Friday the 13th is a peaceful day. A report issued in 2008 by a Dutch insurance company stated that there are fewer accidents on a Friday when it falls on the 13th than on any other day. Could it be because all the really bad drivers stay in bed on this day?
- There are 13 steps leading to the gallows, the original hangman’s noose has 13 knots and the blade in a guillotine fell from 13 feet.
- Lizzy Borden said exactly 13 words at her trial.
- A witches coven consists of 13 witches.
- Late Princess Diana’s car hit pillar nr 13 when she died in that fateful crash.
A Few Friday the 13th Jokes
- In 2008 Kallie told Mike: “Old Mike, Christmas this year is on a Friday,” to which Mike replied, “I hope it’s not a Friday the 13th!”
- Falling out of a 13th story window on a Friday is bad luck – American proverb.
- Is it bad luck to get married on Friday the 13th? Of course, why should it be better than getting married on any other day of the week?
- Thirteen people at the table is unlucky only when the hostess has only 12 chops – Groucho Marx.
One Last Word of Warning Just Because it’s Friday the 13th
Max left for work on Friday morning. Friday was pay day and instead of going home, he stayed out the entire weekend partying with the boys and spending his entire salary.
Finally Max went home on Sunday night. Obviously he was confronted by his very angry wife Sue, who read Max the riot act for nearly two hours with a tirade befitting his actions. When Sue ran out of breath and stopped the nagging she said to Max, “How would you like it if you didn’t see me for two or three days?”
Max replied bravely, “That would be fine by me.”
Monday went by and he didn’t see Sue. Tuesday and Wednesday came and went without him seeing her even once.
By the Thursday the swelling had gone down just enough so that Max could see Sue a little out of the corner of his left eye.
Have a happy Friday the 13th, everyone. Make it a marvellously magical day with lots of luck for everyone.